Saturday 5 February 2011

Un Petit Emploi

For those of you who don't speak French, the title means 'A Little Job'. You heard right, kids, I have managed to obtain employment in France...I have done the IMPOSSIBLE!! To be fair, I am not sure if I am paid or not, and it is only a few hours a week, but I am more excited about the experience.

France is notorious for being a difficult country to find employment as a non -EU foreigner. Most people resort to teaching English, on a TEFL or assistantship program. Even then, the stakes are really high, and getting a job is very competitive. Options for Americans seem to fall under 'au pair' or 'English assistant'

Luckily, because I am at university here, things are a little bit easier. Also, I am not blindly looking for a job that requires immigration status, which makes things A LOT easier. I volunteered when the DAI asked if anyone was interested in employment.

Let me explain. The DAI is the 'Direction des Affaires Internationales' at UPJV. This is basically the international office. What I am going to be doing is trying to entice people to go on a year abroad. I will be at a stand and will be able to answer any questions about ERASMUS or ISEP programs.

This could be a really big step for me. For one, I will be speaking in French to mostly French people. I have been here for seven months, but that does not mean that it is not nerve wracking to go out on a limb and speak to native speakers. Also, it is going to keep me occupied. While I go to classes almost daily (Wednesdays are free!) I find myself in my room (often blogging!) and trying to figure out something to do. This will get me out there, and might be a way to meet new people! Who knows what this has in store for me.

I am looking forward to gaining the experience, and practicing my French even more.

PS. Check my flickr account this week, I am headed to Paris for the day, and I want to take a lot of photos!

2 comments: