Friday 11 February 2011

Thoughts on Stereotypes

So obviously we know 'our' stereotype of the Frenchman...a dark-haired man, wearing a beret and striped shirt, fresh out of the boulangerie, and riding his bicycle home. We also know 'our' stereotypes as Americans...gravy-guzzling icons of stupidity. However, as Americans, we know that this isn't at all true about us...so why does this idea of the 'typical Frenchman' persist?

One thought I had was that, to Americans, France can represent this romanticized country where things haven't changed for awhile. I can vouch that this isn't at all true. The French people I know are as different as all of the Americans I know...and all of the English people I know. With globalization occuring, perhaps none of us are all that different. I know berets are popular with woman this winter in the US...and I know there are French kids out there who sing along to the Glee soundtrack. Maybe we really are just the same with different languages.

This doesn't mean that the variations in culture do not exist, bien sur que oui! (of course they do!) I have a hard time, as an American, adjusting to the fact that 2 hour lunch breaks are still popular, and EVERYTHING shuts between 12 and 2. However I think a French person would have trouble adapting to bits of our culture as well.

My point is, while we emphasize the differences in culture, maybe the truth is that we are actually quite similar. But to be honest, I have seen French men with berets, carrying baguettes...So maybe our stereotypes are based in a tiny bit of fact :P

No comments:

Post a Comment