Friday 7 May 2010

Insurance Nervousness

So this week has been dedicated to getting ready for our year abroad, before we all go home for the summer. We had a 5 hour briefing on Wednesday, with all different types of speakers, from dissertation preparations, to health and safety abroad. A lot of the things did not apply to me, since I am not European citizen. I often found myself doodling over the notes that did apply to me!

The one thing that made me very anxious was sorting out this insurance business today. Luckily I met with my course leader and she cleared up a few of the questions I had. When I moved to England, I was lucky enough to be able to register with the NHS, because I am a full-time student. This meant that I did not have to read a lot of medical jargon before coming here. Unfortunately this is not the case when going to France for a year. Apparently, when I get to France, I have to sign up to the 'Securité Sociale', which will cover the majority of fees, and then buy the top up insurance from ISEP. It is all very confusing and scary. I know me whittering on about insurance policies isn't the most entertaining of topics, but it is definitely essential!

Hopefully I will be able to wade through this paperwork and find myself in France. Not only do I have to finish this mountain of paperwork, but I will soon myself navigating through the red tape of the embassies and attempting to get a visa.

*sigh* Sometimes I am jealous of those Europeans!

No comments:

Post a Comment